Frequently Asked Questions
What is The TackHack
The TackHack is the outlet for equestrians. We sell new and “prix-loved” tack and riding apparel from your favorite equestrian brands at discounted prices. We also offer consignment services for riders wishing to sell premium saddles and riding apparel.
We work with independent retailers and brands to help move their overstock. We only sell high-quality items and do not accept “lemons.”
We operate a bit like resale bouncers; we run a tough door to ensure that our customers are satisfied with the quality of the used items they purchase. Our prix-loved items are appraised as like-new, excellent, very good, and good:
- Like-New: the item doesn’t have a tag, but is in such pristine condition that we’re pretty sure it has never been worn
- Excellent: the item does not have any visible defects or fabric fading
- Very Good: these items are show ring ready.
- Good: ideal for schooling.
We understand that equestrian sizing is all over the map. That’s why our products include both manufacturer sizing and converted US sizing. This makes filtering through our product offerings more efficient for our riders. That being said, we are more than happy to provide exact measurements on any of our items. Simply email us at [email protected] and we’ll do our best to get you those measurements ASAP.
We offer 7-day trials on all of our saddles. Saddles must be returned in the condition they were sent, and we ask that our saddle shoppers refrain from riding in the rain during their trial.
We make consignment a snap. Simply head to our consignment page and request either a consignment kit (for apparel and smaller tack) or a SaddleShip kit. The kit will arrive at your door free of charge. Simply pack the kit with items meeting our guidelines, pop the kit in the mail, and your items will ship to us for free. We follow up with a consignment offer shortly thereafter. Once you give us the green light, we photograph, post and market your items.
We accept items from brands that are listed on our accepted brands list. Items must be in beautiful condition. We do not accept items that are stained, dingy, ripped, torn, or missing components. We do not accept the following:
- Items that are not current (ten years for saddles; 5 years for apparel)
- Saddles with structural or leather defects
- Horse Blankets (unless new with tags)
- Helmets (we only accept helmets from retailers)
- Horse brushes
- Show shirts with ratcatcher collars
- Dry-clean only coats or breeches (with the exception of shadbellies)
- Used gloves
- Used spurs
- Monogrammed items
- Boots without zippers
- Saddle pads (unless in like-new condition)
Unaccepted items will either be returned to the consignor at his or her expense, or donated. We are delighted to partner with The Rider’s Closet for our donations. Doners will receive a receipt from The Rider’s Closet once goods are processed.
- Saddles: Saddles are priced using the same standard pre-owned saddle pricing that brand reps use. We determine what a current demo version of your saddle would sell for on the market today, and deduct a set amount per year to arrive at a baseline. We then adjust up or down based on condition. We also encourage our saddle consignors to reach out regarding downward price adjustments.
- Apparel/Other Tack: Brand and condition are the largest determinants of pricing our “prix-loved” items. Standard practice for pricing used items is to deduct 50% to 70% off of the full retail value and adjust up or down depending on demand and condition.
The lovely thing about consignment is the we are strategically aligned to maximize the sale price of each item! That being said, In an effort to sell your items, we do retain the right to run site-wide promotions on all items except for saddles. Items that are not “moving” will be reduced in price to attract buyers.
Payment is issued via check once per month for that previous month’s sales. We offer our shoppers a 14-day return period, so we must ensure the return period has passed before we can issue payment.
We do not offer our consignment services outside of the United States at this time.
Orders, Shipping & Returns
Due to the unforeseen disruption caused by COVID-19, we are no longer able to offer complimentary shipping at this time. We offer weight-based shipping on all orders.
We are happy to still offer free returns for all products except for saddles.
We ship via 2-day USPS priority. Our saddles ship insured.
We currently offer weight-based shipping to Canada starting at $20.
We calculate shipping based on the item’s weight, the package dimension, and your shipping destination.
Non-Saddle Purchases: We offer free returns within 14 days of receipt on all orders shipped in the continental U.S.
Saddle Purchases: We offer 7-day saddle trials. We have cancelled our complimentary returns on saddles due to COVID-19.
Simply complete our return form found in the footer of our website.
We do not offer free returns on international orders.